Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Asparagus, sundried tomato and olive loaf


This picture is going for Click hosted by Jugalbandi

My husband surprised me a few years ago and as I continue to enjoy it.  I often use the recipes in the "in season" section of the magazine.  This month, asparagus is in season and I happen to be a big fan.  

I love it as thoran/side dish, and in salads or just grilled and garnished with olive oil. Asparagus in bread seemed like a fantastic idea.  So I had to try this recipe as soon as I read it.  

The sundried tomatoes give a lovely tangy, chewy texture to the bread.  Although the recipe called to use Gruyere or Beaufort cheese, I didn't use it, just to cut down the calorie in take. The bread came out really well, and before I knew it, only the crumbs were left.  I did feel that the bread would have been even better with the cheese.  But then my waistline would have to pay the price. :-)

This is lovely with a hot cup of tea/coffee.  Enjoy!  

This recipe is also going to Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes for AFAM - Olives

Ingredients:
  • 100ml Olive oil, plus extra for greasing
  • 250g Asparagus(woody ends removed), each cut into 3 pieces
  • 200g Self raising flour
  • 1 tsp thyme leaves
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 100 ml milk
  • handful of black pitted olives
  • 100g sundried tomatoes roughly chopped
  • 100g Gruyere or Beaufort, grated
Method: 

Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5/350F. Oil a loaf tin. Cook the asparagus in salted water for 2 minutes, drain then cool quickly under cold running water. Pat dry. 

In a large bowl, mix the flour and thyme with the seasoning. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, milk and oil stirring all the time to draw the flour into the center. Beat for a minute or so to make a smooth batter. 

Reserve few asparagus tips and few olives.  Add the remaining asparagus, tomatoes, olives and two thirds of the cheese to the batter. Pour into the tin, and put the reserved asparagus and olives on top.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake feels firm to touch and is golden and crusty on top.  Cool for 5 minutes and turn out on a wire rack.
Adapted from BBC GoodFood Magazine

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I would love the combo of asparagus and sundried tomato and olive in a loaf! Sounds excellent!

Cynthia said...

This is excellent!

Bharathy said...

Love your blog!..Cute, neat and homely!..
Love the loaf as well as the pic..
All the best for click! :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Awesome clicks, unique recipe...very interesting.

Finla said...

Wow that loaf burst with full of flavours.

anudivya said...

I love your loaf, the colors just pop and makes for an impeccable finish. I think this is my first time here :)

Yasmeen said...

I love such food magazines,I usually pick'em from library.The loaf looks awesome,veggies in bread is smart eating:)

Sakshi said...

Wow asparagus and sun dried tomato in a loaf?? That's something I would like to have right now!! Such amazing pics...now am following you.